Digital storytelling, writer, multimedia guru. World traveler, equal parts adventurer and homebody, mom.
It all started when I read a book about India in order to prepare for a trip to Mexico.
I was 11, and my church youth group had organized a mission trip to Juarez. For “homework” we had to read a book about Mother Theresa. With this simple assignment, the whole world opened up to me. I developed a deep curiosity about social issues and an undeniable love of culture and travel.
I am especially fascinated by the many ways that people classify and represent their experiences- whether for creative purposes or to have their voices heard.
These passions have led me to a career in advocacy, international development and communications.
I tell stories (both mine and others’) through writing, photography, video and web production.
MA, International Media
BA, International Relations/East Asian Studies
Travel Writing Workshops 2014, 2015
Iceland Writers Retreat, Reykjavik
National Geographic Expeditions Photography Workshop
U.S. Institute for Peace, Washington, D.C.
Media, Democratization and Civil Society
Central European University, Budapest
- “17 Signs You Learned to Drink in Texas,” Matador Network, April 6, 2015
- “Six Things to Do in Roswell, NM, That Don’t Involve Aliens,” Matador Network, September 18, 2014
- “14 Signs You Were Born and Raised in the Texas Panhandle,” Matador Network, August 28, 2014
- “Mobile Phone Applications Along the Agricultural Commodity Value Chain,” co-authored with Benjamin Kwasi Addom. Mobile Phones for Agricultural Extension; Worldwide mAgri Innovations and Promise for Future, New India Publishing Company, 2014.
- “Mainstreaming NGO News: OneWorld.net on Yahoo! World News,” co-authored with Larry Kirkman, Neiman Journalism Lab, NGOs and the News Series, December 15, 2009
- “AIDS Efforts Link All MDGs,” OneWorld.net. Nov 2, 2007
- “AU Profile: Professor Not Typical,” The American Observer. October 30, 2007. Washington, DC.
- “Working to Inspire a New Generation”, Enabled Online. Jan/Feb 2002
- “Tapping Global Resources: A Guide to Involving and Managing Online Volunteers.” The Journal of Volunteer Administration. Association of Volunteer Administration: Vol. 20. No 2.
- “Online Volunteer Goes Onsite to Uganda”. Volunteer Voices. United Nations Volunteers: Nov 2001.
- 40Brown Articles and opinions about travel, development communications, social marketing, cross cultural communications, and other communication for social change topics.
- GradMama (no longer maintained)Personal reflections about balancing motherhood and graduate school, Featured in the Idealist Grad School Project
- The Global Broadband and Innovations Program Web Portal (2011-2012) – a multimedia resource portal and social network for development professionals interested in incorporating Information and Communication Technologies (ICTs) into their work. The site supported nine subdomains, each providing news, analysis and resources on the implementation of ICTs in the following sectors: Agriculture, Economic Growth, Education, Environment and Natural Resources Management, Health, Humanitarian Assistance, Mobile Money, Connectivity
- Integra LLC– (2011-2013) Corporate Site for Integra LLC. Built on the WordPress platform, the site features interactive maps, embedded multimedia, program updates/blog posts, forms, dynamic drop down menus, front page slider
- “Invisible Population – Refugees with Disabilities in Jordan”Co-author with Alanna Wong, Website and Case Study, December 2008
- Pearls of Africa (no longer updated) Redesigned the site in 2008 using WordPress.
- Fighting Spirits– Wrote, edited, narrated and produced– 14 min short documentary about disability in Uganda (2007)
- David Burke Awards Presentations – wrote, edited, narrated short video presentations of journalists around the world who have been honored for their excellence. I also created the motion graphics (in After Effects) for all title slides. (2013)
Please check out the Portfolio section of this site for
multimedia clips and examples of theses productions.
- United Nations Volunteers and NetAid 2002 Online Volunteer of the Year
- Recipient of Intercultural Management Institute 2008 Education and Development Fund Scholarship
- Exceptional Women Interview. Exceptional Women. With Candy Oteri. 106.7 WMJX-FM. Boston. Air date TBA.
- PC World.com Madigan, Michelle. “Web Opens World to Digital Volunteers” PC World.com, December 27, 2002:
- “Disability Organization in Uganda Run by Digital Volunteers” Disability World. Issue 16. Nov/Dec 2002:
- Mary Merrill’s Topic of the Month “The Impact of Technology” Mary Merrill’s Topic of the Month, November 2002
- TechSoup, NPO Stories. Cravens, Jayne. “The Power of Online Volunteering.”
- Volunteering Magazine “Widening the Volunteer Net” Volunteering Magazine, National Centre for Volunteering. UK: Oct 2001
- Goodman, Ann. “Cisco Meets the UN.” Delta Sky Miles. 1 September 2001:99-101.
- Carcamo, Cindy. “Volunteers in Virtual World Create Real Benefits in Uganda”. Dallas Morning News. 18 August 2001, J10+.
“If a nation loses its storytellers, it loses its childhood.”